Call for Applications: Bioscience Innovation Bootcamp
- This call has expired -
BioInnovate Africa is a regional science and innovation-driven initiative, supported by Sida and implemented as a programme of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe). It operates in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda. We also collaborate with partners in South Sudan.
BioInnovate Africa enables scientists in Eastern Africa to develop and translate innovative bioscience research ideas, technologies and inventions into practical uses in society, which promote economic growth, create jobs, and reduce poverty. Thus, BioInnovate Africa fosters the development of a sustainable bioeconomy in the region by strengthening the capacity of scientists and institutions to link innovative ideas from the bench to business.
As part of the initiative, a 5-day bioscience innovation bootcamp has been organized for entrepreneurial scientists in eastern Africa to empower them to develop innovative and commercially viable biological-based ideas in areas including but not limited to;
- Food and feed
- Waste water treatment
- Medical diagnostics
- Green chemicals
Who is eligible to apply?
This call shall be limited to citizens and/or nationals of the seven (7) BioInnovate Africa participating countries attached to a university, research institution, private company, or other related organization (either as an employee or student).
How you will benefit
- Access to Investors – Networking with investors & industry players at the 1st Regional Bioeconomy Conference.
- Investment Readiness –Winners of the pitch event will get admission to a 3 months acceleration program by Villgro Kenya & BioInnovate Africa.
- Fundraising – Increase your chances of being eligible for future BioInnovate Africa & Villgro Kenya funding and technical assistance.
- An innovative biobased idea with potential for commercial application (40 points)
- A multidisciplinary team of three (3) members e.g. comprising of academia and industry/private sector (30 points).
- At least 2 of the team members must be youth, i.e. within the age bracket of 15-35 years (10 points)
- Technical proof of concept will be preferred over unproven ideas (20 points).
How to apply
Applicants are invited to submit the following as part of their application:
- A support letter/email from your institution of affiliation (signed by e.g. the head of the department)
- CVs of team members
- A one-page personal motivation statement by the team leader
- A PowerPoint application uploaded in this format using these guidelines
All applications will be uploaded through the online portal
The deadline for receiving applications is 5th October 2020 at 23:59hrs Nairobi Time. Late submissions will be disqualified.
Successful teams will be notified through email by 9th October 2020 Selected teams are expected to participate in the bootcamp for five days on 17-21 October 2020.
The teams will pitch their innovative ideas during the 1st Regional Bioeconomy Conference to be held on 22 October 2020.